Back to ThinkPad Training Resources
In most classrooms, the multimedia system consists of a ceiling mounted Projector, VCR, DVD player (or a VCR/DVD combo), Computer input, and a Document Camera. The LCD touch screen will provide control of the entire system.
While there are a number of different looking classroom multimedia systems, they all function the same way.
- Start/splash screen may look different. There is either a start button or simply touching the screen takes you to the main screen.
- Main screens are all functionally laid out the same:
- Top Middle of the touch screen accesses the projector controls.
- Left side of the touch screen selects the system inputs (the devices that are controlled by the system). This is how you you tell the system what device you want to use.
- Right side of the touch screen controls the room’s speaker volume
- Bottom controls the room’s lighting system (if available)
- You should never login or be prompted for a password.
Powering On the System and the Projector
- Touch the LCD touch screen (that might be blank when it is in the screen saver mode) and press the Start button (the touch screens in the different classrooms might be different, but the operations are similar).
- Press the Video Projector button centered on the top of the screen.
- Press On button to turn on the projector.
Tell the system which input (device) you want to use
Connecting a laptop
- Press Laptop Computer button on the left Source panel of the LCD touch screen,
- Connect the laptop to the multimedia system. Use the appropriate video dongle for your model laptop and audio cable
- Tell the computer what projection schema and resolution you want to use if the laptop does not automatically detect the attached projection system. The specifics of shortucts/key combo/language will vary slightly, depending on what kind of laptop you have.
- Windows: In general, you should find the display settings in Control Panel > Display > Resolution
- Mac: Look in Apple Menu > System Preferences > Displays
- There are multiple places where you might have to adjust volume to acheive a desired level:
To control the volume with the multimedia system’s touchscreen, use the Volume up, Volume down, or Mute buttons or drag the green bar up or down on the right.Also, you can adjust the volume with the laptop’s volume controls and/or the volume controls within your player.
Viewing a VHS Tape using the VCR
- Insert the VHS tape into the VCR,
- Press the VCR button on the left Source panel of the LCD touch screen,
- Use the Play, Stop, Pause, Rewind(REW), and Fast Forword(FFWD) buttons on the VCR control screen to operate the VCR, use the Volume control on the right side of the touch screen as needed.
Viewing a DVD using the DVD Player
- Insert the DVD into the DVD player (see the VCR/DVD players image in the previous section).
Press the DVD button on the left Source panel of the LCD touch screen,
- Press Advanced Controls button to select chapters/scenes using the Menu, Arrows and Enter buttons. Use the Play, Stop, Pause, Rewind(REW), and Fast Forword(FFWD) buttons on the DVD control screen to operate the DVD, use the Volume control on the right side of the touch screen as needed.
Viewing the Document Camera
- Make sure the Document Camera is powered on.
- Press DOC button on the left Source panel of the LCD screen
- The document camera can display plain paper, transparencies, and 3-D objects. The unit has both back light and top light capability.
- For glossy items try using just the natural room light.
- To focus the document camera, first use the auto-focus button located on the front of the document camera. If further adjustment is needed, the manual focus buttons may be used.
- To zoom the document camera use the zoom in and zoom out buttons on the front of the document camera.
Powering Off the System
- If you are using the VCR or DVD player, eject the VHS tape or the DVD.
If you are using the computer, detach the cables from the computer.
- Press the Exit button on the lower left-hand corner of the LCD touch screen,
- This will make the screen display the Start page. Press the System Off button on the screen. This powers off all equipment including the projector.