Ok, the title of this post is a little misleading. You cannot hide, or disable, just the Course Summary section found on the Syllabus tool. However, if you find the Course Summary section too much of a distraction, here is an easy work around method to hide it.
First, create a new page to host the syllabus information. In your Canvas course:
- Click the Pages link on the Course Dashboard.
- Click the +Page button
- Enter the title of the page into the title text box (i.e. Course Syllabus)
- Add the contents of your syllabus using the Rich Text Editor
- Click the Save & Publish button
Next, set the new page as the home page (if desired).
- Click the Pages link on the Course Dashboard
- Click the three vertical dots on the right of your Syllabus page item
- Click the Use as Front Page option
- Click the Home link on the Course Dashboard
- On the right hand side, Click the Choose Home Page button
- Select the radio button next to the Pages Front Page option and click the Save button
Lastly, to avoid confusion, we need to disable the Syllabus link in the Course Dashboard.
- Click the Settings link on the Dashboard
- Click the Navigation Tab at the top
- Click the three vertical dots on the right of your Syllabus navigation item
- Click the Disable button
- Click the Save button